Stone Technical Services Group Ltd were appointed by global petrochemical operator INEOS Nitriles to fully refurbish the boiler chimney at their Seal Sands site, part of the Teesside industrial hub.
The refurbishment project involved multiple tasks including:
• Safe removal of all external cladding and insulation to enable our team to fully sand blast the chimney barrel.
• Safe removal and replacement of 2,800 flange bolts and thermal coating of all 16 flanges post replacement.
• Safe removal of redundant welded bosses previously used for attaching helical strakes.
• Internal strengthening works including welding pre-fabricated steels to all flange areas in confined spaces.
• Replace the chimney insulation and cladding to the full height of the chimney from Cradle Access.
• Supply and install full height ladder boss fixings for existing access ladder cage.
Works were carried out using multiple access methods including bespoke man riding cradles and abseil access. The system fully enveloped the external chimney with a designed cathead to be multi-functional to allow simultaneous access cradles to external and internal works.